He is making perfect sense out of a perfectly senseless, messed up life!

Friday, November 5, 2010

Volunteering - My First Day Back in the World - A Reflection - 2010


I just had my first day out in the world volunteering since I was disabled. January 28, 2001 was my last full day of work. I realized what a different perspective I had and thought that I should share it with all of you.

The other day I sat and talked with my husband about my art as he looked at my first encaustic painting which I hadn’t yet posted photos of to Facebook (left).   He actually liked my painting and was discussing with me about sharing it with others. He wondered how I might find out more info about exhibits, the art world, etc… in the area (moved here in 2005). I told him that it had crossed my mind several times about checking further into volunteering at the Sarasota Art Center. (I’d e-mailed and found out that they did use volunteers a few years ago but hadn’t felt strong enough yet to look into it further). This is one way that I truly have proven that God speaks to me time and time again. Something that I’ve been contemplating about, my husband comes up with a question that falls right into the whole concept (we work together as God intended that way). How better to find out more about the art world but to jump right into the middle of it?

The following Tuesday, I had a doc’s appt. in Sarasota so I decided to stop by the Art Center after and to my pleasant surprise the volunteer coordinator was available to see me. We spoke for a good half-hour or longer and when I left I’d been given two dates to volunteer.

I was ecstatic! I cried! I have volunteered through my church actually quite a few times in the last few years. That was amazing, too. But, this was my first time back in the world after almost 10 years. What an extraordinary feeling!

On Wednesday morning I volunteered for the first time. I loved it. I was there with 4 other volunteers doing a mailing. We gabbed and worked on just easy, trivial stuff. Most of them just wanting to get out of the house for a bit. I felt right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment