He is making perfect sense out of a perfectly senseless, messed up life!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What God Has Done in My Life - Recent Reflections - 2010

I’ve had the recent opportunity to do quite a bit of driving, mostly in helping out with my elderly mother. I say 'opportunity' because it has seemed that the Holy Spirit has been bringing to remembrance many of the side effects of my prior illness from the early 2000’s in turn, to have me reflect on how far I’ve come. That even though I still have some physical and mental deficits, I am nowhere near where I was 9 years ago.

To reflect on a visit to my mom’s nursing home. The first time I met and spoke with the assistant Director of Nursing, I shared with her that I’d previously been diagnosed with CNS Vasculitis (Central Nervous System Vasculitis) and her mouth fell. She shared that she’d just read about a gentleman with CNSV and was very genuinely fascinated. I shared that I was re-learning how to ride a bike, among other things. Her response was, “You’re not supposed to be re-learning how to ride a bike! You’re supposed to be dead!” and she was so right. (The information for CNS Vasculitis is extremely lengthy. To put it in fewer words, it is the inflammation of the arteries in the brain and spinal cord. It is extremely rare. At the time of my diagnosis (2003) there were 200 known cases or even less. It still had no confirmed cause, no known cure, and was considered to be terminal.

My mind has gone back, over and over again to the long 2 ½ years I spent mostly in bed but running between doctors, testing, hospital stays, and surgeries. In the first year, alone, I was on 26 prescriptions at one time. I learned to give myself shots. The steroid that they put me on to take down the numbness and swelling in my brain caused numerous side effects alone, which I carried for another 4 years beyond the 2 months that I took it (Decadron). One part of my life was a nightmare, while I communed with God. While I learned to be still and know He is God (Psalm 46:10a “Be still, and know that I am God”).

And, 9 years later, I am amazingly thankful for this time in my life. I have come to the realization that “…we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28).  He has revealed to me many reasons why this illness befell me but the most pertinent one to me is that I prayed for years and years to become closer to Him, to have more time with Him, for less of me and more of Him so this was all an answer to my many prayers. He knew I was distracted from all of this by this world so He plucked me out of it. He’s set me aside to seek for more of Him. And, I have become thankful in All things, all praise and glory to God!

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to me everyday! I am so lucky to have you in my life. I love watching your progress. I see God's influence in your life everyday as you constantly prove that you can do things they say you can't or shouldn't! Keep writing your blog, I know others get inspiration from it! (From Karen, posted in my previous blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i my self have the same ,, friendship and ,,power through him ,that i am ware i am today ,, if not for what he has done for me i would more likely not even be alive,,, or feel the way i do about me and life ,,in general ,, i find that we all ,, have a reason ,, to live and not to live through him ,,, if we listen ,, and do has we hear in our heart ,, and not so much our mind ,, we will find our reason,,, good and bad ,, every thing has a way ,, to make a point in his eyes if we open our heart and mind to what we see and do ,,,, it is people like you and me ,, and others who ,, may walk another path ,, but all ,, have a sense of who he is ,, and what he wants to do with us ,, we are the ones to open the minds and hearts of the future ,,, so my heart goes out to you,, and best wishes to all that you do ,,, in his name i say i will prey for you has i do my self ,, daily ,,, love (From Angela, posted on previous blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that God delivered you from such a serious illness. I am encouraged to see how you realized that you were made to be still for His purpose. You have such great wisdom and your trials help us all to realize that sometimes we are where God needs us to be so that He can get to us where He has called us to be!

    ReplyDelete